Greg's diary
December 1965
Translate this page
Select day in December 1965:
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Select month:
1965 May Jun Jul Aug
1965 Sep Oct Nov Dec
1966 Jan Feb Mar Apr
Today's diary entry
Diary index
About this diary
Previous month
Next month
Greg's home page
Greg's photos
Network link stats
Greg's other links
Copyright information

Wednesday, 1 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
next day
last day

And so drags life into the last month of the year, and without much to change the monotony thereof. Got up for breakfast mainly in order that some bastard or another should not get hold of my PNW, and also the AP. I wish they would include a few more camera tests in the latter magazine. They seem lately to be rather going down the drain.

After breakfast, did little, and merely hung around the common room moping. Discovered after assembly that the linen room was closed on Wednesday, and so did not turn up for P.E., but instead did a study period.

Then lecture, which was the bulk of Mansell's slides on Pompei, etc, and they proved to be quite interesting, although I seem to recall seeing them before.

Then music, and TDH said something about it being Advent, and Händel's Messiah being very appropriate. At any rate, 'twas pleasant.

After break, maths and chemistry. Test in the former, and, as usual, absolutely nothing in the latter.

After lunch full choir practice, and carried on for quite some time. TDH is obviously getting a bit worried about the carol service.

Then to the wireless club, with a view to aligning the short wave section of my PCR, and discovered that it was one hell of a long way out, after I had finally managed to standardise the signal generator with Lissajous figures on the scope. Tired getting various capacitors in series with the padder, which will probably not do the tracking the slightest bit of good.

After a bit of time messing around there, with Hal making irrelevant comments, he managed to persuade me to come to tea, and so thither, and after that, decided to go and offer my services (not myself, as TDH suggested) for the chorus in “Iolanthe”,

Martin Peyton-Jones had been the lead (Frederic) in “The Pirates of Penzance”, and after he was killed, they killed the Pirates too, and replaced it with Iolanthe.

and did so. It appears that there are 4 too many people, and I may well be one of the first to get the boot, but today, at any rate, I was allowed to continue. I sometimes wonder if it is all worth it.

Did little in prep - maths was pretty tough. Lecture on Thomas Mann in 2nd prep by C.H. Davis. Not very interesting.

Thursday, 2 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Perryman made quite sure that I got out of bed this morning by chucking a couple of mugfuls of water at me. Returned the compliment down his bed after he had gone.

After breakfast, a letter from Dad with a cheque for £7, and saying that he was bringing me out to Malaysia for the holidays. That solves quite a few problems, but at the same time means that I won't be able to see Lesley these holidays, to which I say damn. He is under some delusion that it is summer over here.

Mechanics, and we are now well and truly messing around with vectors disguised as forces, and so may continue to do for some time. Mr. Trevett did not turn up again - must be unwell.

Study, and wrote a letter to Dad, and explained the position to him, and asked for more details of what was happening.

Then lecture - finished off Mansell's slides.

After break, double physics, and on with surface tension. Remarkable versatility of weather outside.

After lunch, did not go to wind band, nor did I go down town as had I intended, but instead finished off my letter to Dad about coming home. I have already been asked for 2 pentaxes, and no doubt will be asked for more.

Then, as Mr. Trevett was not here, went down to watch the house matches, and in particular to watch the Carpenter spectators. Nobody can say that the Carpenter has no house spirit - they were certainly showing it today. And it helped, to judge by the score - 22:6. Everybody went wild all the way through, and the conditions were so deplorable that everybody was up to their knees in mud.

After that, up to the common room to grab a brief rest, and then along to tea, after which a bassoon lesson, and on as ever. I am getting really fed up with this place, and will be only too happy to get away from it.

After bassoon lesson, back to the common room to dream of Lesley, and then along to double maths, where Jimmy decided that we could do some Mechanics and More Mechanics.

In second prep, did little. Life is too much for me lately. Oh, to be away from it all. “Here with a book of verse beneath the bough; a loaf of bread, a flask of wine, and thou beside me singing in the wilderness: and wilderness is paradise enow”. And who, oh who, art thou!

Friday, 3 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And so on with the term, and only 2 weeks to go now. It will probably not kill me. Up at 0730 this morning, much mainly to escape the wrath of Perryman, who slept all night without sheets.

After breakfast, letter from Lesley, will all the arrangements for seeing me at Beckenham in the Christmas holidays. It is all so terribly depressing. I feel as if I do not want to go home. Damn.

Double chemistry with Pricky Cann, and we were titrating AgNO₃ against NaBr. I could not resist the temptation, and went upstairs and got hold of a cyan developer, and did it to the AgBr. Had a bit of fun trying to bleach it then, at which I was not violently successful. Callow ii also generously gave me some hypo - just what I needed. Pricky Cann caught me, asked me what I was doing, told me to stop it, and asked about the structural formula of Mydochrome. Spent quite some time considering it with him.

Silver bromide (AgBr) is the light-sensitive component of photographic emulsions, and Mydochrome was an active ingredient in colour developers for processes like E2 and E3.

Then mechanics - little of interest. Wrote to Lesley in study period.

First period of physics did nothing except carry on cursing about the holidays. I should count my blessings.

After lunch, first of all had a haircut (before dance) from Fred Bartlett, and then to choir practice. That carried on until about 1500 hrs, which normally would have been convenient, but today was a free day. After that, up to the darkroom, where Hal was binding [?] some slides, and took a photo, and spent the rest of the time considering and calculating flash factors for PF1's [flash bulbs] at different shutter speeds. There is quite a bit of control with shutter speeds.

If the shutter speeds and synchronization time are correct. PF1's burnt relatively slowly, so the shutter speed could modify the amount of light received, but it relied on exact correlation of shutter speed, sync time point, and the characteristics of the bulb itself.

Then, after forgetting tea, double physics, but had to leave in the middle while discussing the level of illumination in the lab with Pad, to change for the dance at Gardenhurst.

Gardenhurst was a school in Burnham-on-Sea that closed only two years later. Hopefully the events weren't related.

Left at about 1820, and got there at about 1915, and fairly quickly into a Paul Jones, and got off pretty smartly with an Anita Wong, who was very nice. I suspect Pen did not approve. She wants me to write to her. Wish she could kiss better.

She gave me my first tongue kiss. It clearly somewhat confused me. Other boys were much more adventurous.

Saturday, 4 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Had intended to sleep in violently this morning following the late night last night, but Perryman though [sic] differently, and we had quite an amusing scuffle as a result thereof.

In assembly, Pen had some not-too-nice comments to make, including one that members of the dancing club should be able to dance, and another about seeing people would need a bit of guidance before going out into the world. I hope he does not call me up.

Double maths, and we are now on to the hyperbola, which does not pose much of a problem. I think I more or less understand conics now.

Then art, which I spent talking with Little and Daw about the dance last night. Quite an interesting conversation.

After break, chemistry, and got the go-ahead for the C22 this afternoon.

Spent English translating science into english.

After lunch, cleared up a few minor details, and then to the common room to tidy up my study place, which has lately been badly in need thereof.

Then to the OA match, which as usual was in not quite pouring rain, but nevertheless decidedly damp. Pete Chivers turned up, and it seems that he is now apprenticed to a Blockflötenists in Bristol. I wish him luck.

Eventually, at about 1610 hrs, the match finished, and off and to tea, but did not stay there long, and so to the Chemistry labs to get everything I needed for doing the C-22.

After roll call, got down to it, and by myself for quite some time, but got along fairly well. After a while, Atkinson and Hallett came along, but the former only stayed for about 5 minutes, and the latter was busy binding slides.

Finally finished it all despite, and off to prep.

After supper, etc, looked for all my Kodacolor, finally found it, loaded it, and then had a slide show in the darkroom. We must have shown about 350 slides - 50 ft of film.

Sunday, 5 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Up early this morning in order to make sure that all was well, but did not actually do much before breakfast.

After breakfast, into the chemistry labs and checked that all the solutions were intact, that none had precipitated in the night, and that all was present to go ahead. Then to the common room to work out the times for 3 simultaneous C-22 films, and it came out quite nicely, until I got back to the chemistry labs and forgot that I had not given a 50% increase in washing times, which rather made a mess of my nice tidy sheet.

Chapel was with a sermon, unfortunately, which mean that I did not get out until 1115 hrs, and almost immediately got everything going, and started at exactly 1120 hrs, and all went well from there on.

Carried on quite comfortably, with a little help (about 5 minutes) from Atkinson. There are about 5 minutes in the process when all 3 are washing, which makes for a convenient breather. All out by 1251 hrs, and left them over lunch to dry.

After lunch, got permission from Jimmy Edwards to miss the film to do some prints, and started off doing some for Lesley of myself, but soon got tired - I have very few decent photos of myself.

After a while, down to the chemistry labs, and there found my Kodacolors dry, and cut them up and put them away, and tried to print a couple of Lesley, but it is terrible stuff to print off. I don't know why, but the contrast is almost non-existent.

It seems that I was trying to make black-and-white prints of Kodacolor, which in those days had a particularly strong yellowish-brown base colour.

Tried as best I could, and after roll call came along Atkinson with some hard paper, but even that did not help much, although it was somewhat better than before.

Then Atkinson made some prints, and Hallett and I got my Pentax set up for some more slide-copying, this time using a 105 mm Tessar to print, as we could stop it down to f/22, and also it had a shutter. Was a lot easier to use.

Looking through polarimeter with Pricky Cann after supper.

Monday, 6 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And on goes the term, very close to an end now. Just about managed to stagger up for breakfast, and was disappointed by not getting any letters. I shall have to just pray that I will find out what is happening by the end of the week. If not, I think I shall phone them,

Mechanics always seems a rather inapt start to the week, and I am never awake for it. Little happened this morning.

In chemistry, did little apart from demonstrate phase rule deduction. I really must start doing some work on my own in chemistry.

After break, which I have lately been spending in the music rooms, double maths, and did little.

On with hyperbolae in both periods. The end is now in sight.

After lunch, wrote up my diary, wrote a short note to Lesley, and then down town to cash a cheque, and to the post office to post the photos, and to get some stamps, etc.

Got back, and to the common room, where I wrote a letter to Anita Wong, and then read something about drug addiction in the USA. It all sounds pretty horrible.

After that, once more fatigued by the changes and chances of this life, I gave it up as a bad job and to the music rooms to play some love music, and think of happier times. Oh, to be with Lesley again. I am quite convinced that I would have to go a long way to find one better than her.

After tea, as always in the Meynell, went to the wireless club to fix up my CRO, which has lately been very out, and ended up changing the resistors in the voltage divider. It all helps.

Then a practice for Iolanthe, and all went very amusingly, and was approached of Hilary with a petition for some prints. Shall have to do something about it.

Piano lesson - on with Bach and Haydn.

Tuesday, 7 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Oh, why do these last days of term drag so? It really is getting me down lately. Slept in until after breakfast, and when I finally did get up, all I got in the way of mail was a Christmas card from Grandma and Pop. I wish I would hear from Mum and Dad about the end of term arrangements fairly soon.

At the beginning of double physics, it became fairly evident that Pad was not about, and Clod advised us to stay put and study surface tension, which I attempted without much success. Although I disagree with Clod that it is absolutely futile, I cannot see much use for it.

After that, chemistry, in which we again did not do much. If it were not for the fact that I am already depressed enough, I would be made so by the fact that A levels seem very distant right now.

Double study after break, and did little in it, and also some music practice.

After lunch, had a full choir practice, which is part of TDH's better carol service program. I doubt it will work. He started much too late in the game.

Carried on until about 1440, and then I to find Atkinson (on the stage), and got out our Plus X and started to do some loading into cassettes. This is becoming very much a matter of routine lately. Nothing usually happens to spoil the monotony of it, although today, for the first time, we could see what we were doing with the aid of a Wratten 3 Safelight.

Then off to tea, and spoke with Hal concerning what each of us would be doing in the holidays. Why is time dragging so? I want to be with Lesley - very much indeed.

Double maths, and Jimmy introduced us to differential equations, which are not nearly as simple a I had thought they were. On the other had, they were not difficult, and I found them very interesting.

I want Lesley, violently - I suppose it is something to do with bio-rhythm - but no other bird would do for me.

Wednesday, 8 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And on goes life aimless, wandering, etc. Oh to be once again with that fair maid about whose identity there is no ambiguity.

P.E. first, and I got permission from Sarge to have a study period, and spent it doing little, and after a while got sufficiently fed up to do some work on the maths.

After I had exhausted that, still fed up, went and did some music practice, and carried on thus until the end of the second study period. I need some soft music to sooth me.

This, unfortunately, was not continued in music, during which TDH decided to play Sibelius' 2nd symphony in honour of his 100th birthday. Too rousing for my present condition.

After break, maths, - and all about the rectangular hyperbola. All very interesting, I suppose. After this I suppose we will be on to differential equations.

Chemistry was with Pricky Cann, who taught us something. This worries me - Clod never does any of this. I wonder if we are really getting all the syllabus.

After break, what TDH has previously described as a “short” choir practice, which only went on until 1430 hrs.

Then off to the common room, and started reading a beginners article about tank development, and then about photos of birds, and decided to combine both of these ideas and develop my last film (MkV), which I did, and then left it to wash, and down again to the common room, by which time all had come up, and were bewailing the loss by the Carpenter juniors of the match just played. Ah, well.

After that, along to tea, after being presented with some Blockflötenmusik by Bernie, and hanging my film up to dry. Then to the Wireless club, where I sat cursing my fate: I want to be with Lesley.

After roll call, practice for Iolanthe. How could I draw myself to get about with one of those Bishop Fox girls? The are all pretty ropy, and even Hilary is not really worth it. Last practice for the term, and left it until next term. Oh, to be away from this country!

Thursday, 9 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Trying out some of my music after breakfast today. All very interesting. I must learn some of it.

Got back to the common room, and there was a letter and Christmas card there, both from Lesley, bless her sweet little heart. Once again I render thanks unto God for having met as wonderful a bird as her.

Mechanics first, which dragged, but finally I found a formula P = W sin (α + λ) sec λ, which makes everything clear. I shall have to remember it.

Then double study, and I made good use of it by writing a letter to Lesley and making it a really long one - 11 pages. I hope she appreciates that. Spent a great deal of it explaining, in answer to her P.S., what conic sections were, etc. All very baffling for her, no doubt.

After break, during which it was pouring with rain, double physics, and Pad went on about surface tension, without making it very clear.

After lunch, after several doubts, etc, decided that I might as well turn up for wind band, and did so, and was greeted by TDH telling me that I am now leader of the band. What an honour.

After that, to the wireless club, where Phillips was in the last stages of cleaning up his Jaguar dashboard, and helped him a little on that.

Then over for a clarinet lesson, where Mr. Trevett rather irritated my by telling them how to get to his house, and that there was a Pub bang opposite. Annoying to say the least.

Not really clear who “they” are, nor why it was irritating.

Got down then to doing some duets, in which I did rather badly. Spoke at length about our respective obsessions, (1 - cos θ)'s, etc.

Then off, bought some food at the tuckshop, and then for a bassoon lesson, in the middle of which I was summoned by the headmaster's secretary, and told I would be leaving on the 16th from London. Looks as if I may leave here on the 14th. Useful.

More differential equations in double maths, and found them just a little puzzling. Think I have got it, however. Jimmy was a little put out that I should leave so soon.

Friday, 10 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And on with the week, and again no mail, which is becoming enough of a way of life not to worry me unduly. Spent most of breakfast reading the Straits budget, to see what the situation is like in K.L.. Does not look too good, but newspaper reports are always pessimistic.

After breakfast, did some music practice, and got Parry to accompany me. He is not much good, but could be so with a bit of practice.

Double chemistry first - as usual, did little, until Clod discovered that nobody knew anything about pH, and spent a considerable time explaining that.

After that, mechanics, and Drax gave us a little written work to do. Thank God it was easy.

Then, after break, spent most of my study period writing up last weeks practical.

Then physics, and as usual did nothing until towards the end of the period, apart from discuss photography with Atkinson.

After lunch, had intended to go to a music club meeting, but had far too much else to do, and in the end gave it up as a bad job, and concentrated on finding out my flight information. WP204 from Exeter on Wednesday 1655, and AI106(B) from London at 1000 hrs on Thursday, arriving Singapore 1435 on Friday. BL028 at 1830 from Singapore, which will give me plenty of time to buy photographic equipment, etc, which may well prove useful.

After that, to the match, which was a bit of a massacre, and so did not think much of it. We won, which seemed to be all that interested most people.

Then to tea, where I am getting a bit sick of all the stale bread, and as a result did not eat much.

Double physics, messing around with capillary size, and we got one too big to measure (≈ 13cm) [?], and so gave it all up as a bad job.

Then double choir practice in preparation for the carol service tomorrow.

Elected to the Sheldon society - another tie for me to wear. Good. Rang up Mrs. Baudouy telling her of the arrangements.

Saturday, 11 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

2 letters this morning - one from Miss Anthony (who signed herself Anna - must be getting familiar) telling me that the whole famdamily [damn family] was flat out, and enclosing a Harper Gilfillan flight schedule, which was the same as what I got from Miss Crockett yesterday, except for the Singapore-KL flight, which was 052, departing at 1515 hrs. I wonder which it will be - don't really care much.

Double maths, and discovered I had forgotten to do my maths prep, which did not please Jimmy much, even though I made a fairly valid excuse to him. On with hyperbolae, and some quite easy rectangular problems on them.

Then art lecture, for which Hal and I did not turn up, on the grounds that earlier this week it had been announced that we would not have any lectures this week. Spoke to Hal about what I would get him.

After break, chemistry, and Clod was on talking about pH. P.H. [Paul Hallett?] made an absolute fool of himself, and I had to explain it to him.

English was varying degrees of précis, which were terribly boring. Ah well. None more for 5 or 6 weeks.

After lunch had a multitude of things to do. Got my robes out of chapel, and then along to the tuckshop to buy a Sheldon tie, and got messed up with the wiring for Mrs Smiths heater while I was there. Fortunately, managed to untangle myself, and left it to Prest.

Then over to the Police Sports ground to watch a match there, and nearly got stung for 6d to see it, but in the end were let in free. Did not stay long - started strolling back at about 1515, and did some music until 1530, and then in, wandered about aimlessly for a bit, and then to the wireless club, after which to tea.

After roll call, up to the science library, whereat started reading some books on Astronomy, and stayed there for about ¾ of an hour, until Paul Hallett came along with some money for me - £40 in fivers, and £30 in notes. Atkinson then came along and gave me £5, which, together with the £42 I got from Allen this morning, makes £117 - not a bad haul.

What was this money for? The £70 from Paul Hallett were ultimately used for a Asahi Pentax “Spotmatic”, though it's not clear if that was the intention at this point. It's also not clear what the £42 from Allen were for; later I sold him my Asahi Pentax SV, but that was months later, and at this point I had nothing to sell him. And possibly the £5 were for my old Diaxette.

Public carol service went off well - after supper got the Padlab telescope out with a view to using it on my camera for some astrophotography. 1000 mm f/6,6 mirror, but astigmatism from somewhere.

Sunday, 12 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And on to a rather pleasant last Sunday of term, and did very little therein.

After breakfast, wrote up my diary in order to get it out of my way for the rest of the day, and then found that I had quite a bit of time on my hands. Got told by Howard to do up my coat. I think he is a little jealous of my nice red tie.

The coats (blazers) had three buttons, and we had to have exactly the middle one done up. I had clearly had all of them open. The red tie was the only one that didn't have stripes, and was reserved for members of the (elite) Sheldon Society.

Chapel was, for once, not as usual, and we had a sermon by Pen right at the beginning, in order, as I rightly guessed, to let him get out of it sooner. However, as it meant an extra hymn, it also increased the length of the service, which was a nuisance.

After chapel, up to the darkroom, and decided that my services were not required, and so with Hal to the wireless club, where we did little, and before long up to the science library, where we stayed until lunch, and heard Allen break the negative carrier glass. Damned fool.

After lunch, as a result, could not do any printing, and instead decided that I could do with some music to soothe my nerves, and so down with Hal to the music room, and discovered Gay using the gram, and so waited there until he finished, at about 1430, and then put on some Händel Blockflötensonaten, which pleased me immensely, though apparently not so Hal. Still, one of these days I suppose he will learn to appreciate music one of these days. [sic]

After that, back to the wireless club, where I found an old pair of Jacobs glasses, which I think I will get fitted up to my prescription, and then back to the common room, where Christmas decorations were up, and so pretty quickly out again, and up to the darkroom to develop an HP3 which Allen had (rather hopefully) exposed at 3200 ASA.

HP3 was rated at 400 ASA/27° DIN, so this represented an underexposure of 3 EV—optimistic indeed.

Took me until after roll call, which was inconvenient, and in the end came out fine. Excellent! Loaded some film into cassettes, and then off to see how best to smuggle a Pentax or 2 into this country.

After support, off to see Lewis to answer for my sins in room 26, but got away Scot free. Then had a fight in the science library, which Atkinson recorded in silver [i.e. black-and-white photos]. Noted also a print (½ plate) by Allen off the HP3 with no noticeable grain. Unbelievable!

Monday, 13 December 1965 KCT
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And on to the last day of term, for me, at any rate, and was rather hoping for some mail, but none was forthcoming, other than a parcel with plenty of paper from A.W. Young. That will come in handy these holidays.

After assembly, mechanics, and on with statics, and Drax did say something rather reassuring about not doing any more particle statics. I suppose we will move on to particle dynamics or rigid body statics instead.

Then double chemistry, and did very little. Clod still has this bee in his bonnet about pH, and was on about that, and also conductivity. Anyway, he went out for long enogh for me to do all the maths prep that Jimmy set us on Saturday. r = a (1 - sin θ) will make a good one to put at the bottom of my next letter to Lesley.

After break, double maths. These differential equations are getting decidedly nasty. Paul Callow has been awarded his pioneer Colours.

The second sentence was probably added later where it fitted on the page.

After lunch, got down to packing, and put hundreds of books in my trunk, and managed to reduce the actual bulk of the mess on my study place to about 40% of the original. Then decided time was getting on, and so down to the bank, and, after bumping into Mr. Callow, who sent his best wishes to Mum and Dad, banked my £117, and managed to get it transferred to the Chartered Bank in K.L.. Ah, 'tis a small world.

Indeed, considering that in 2017 international transfers are still not trivial.

Back again, after getting a Christmas card for Lesley, and embellished it, as I thought fit, with a cardioid, and my most eccentric address yet. I hope it gets there. Still, it is only 10d if it does not.

Then carried on packing, and counted out the whole plate [sized paper], and then to tea. The bread is so appalingly [sic] stale lately that I do not feel like eating anything - just drink some tea.

Then back to finish off my packing, and did quite well thereto, and was more or less finished by about 1715, and then to take some photos of stars, and got one of Pliades with 400 mm, and then off for a piano lesson with Miss Gill.

Did nothing in 2nd prep.

Tuesday, 14 December 1965 KCT → Netherton
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And at last! I can get away from this place. Once again am I that happy laughing boy, etc, etc, and so on.

After breakfast, deliberately did nothing, in order to have an excuse for missing double Pad, and instead played some flute music on Sopran- and Sopranin-blockflöten

After assembly, over to Stoneleigh, and there washed and shampooed myself in nearly boiling water, and packed up as well, etc, and then went down to the other end of the building and got Daw to help me get my trunk down there.

Then for a clarinet lesson, and Gerard pinched a reed off me. Played some duets from 26 Pezzi by whoeverheis.

Finally out, said goodbye to Skiv, and off to the station, where, of all people, I bumped into Christian-Edwards.

Finally off in the opposite direction to him, and before long had elapsed, arrived in Newton Abbot, and rang up Mrs Baudouy, and got a taxi out.

Finally got there, paid off the taxi, had a rather interesting lunch, which was definitely better than what we had at school, and then in to find out what had happened to my ticket, and rang up BOAC in London, and they told me that BUA in Exeter had it, and so rang them up and sure enough, they had it, and will give it to me tomorrow when I get there. Then another call to BOAC about accomodation [sic], and it does not look too hopeful - I will be landing at Gatwick, and they will not arrange accomodation until I actually arrive. I hope it is not like September the 16th.

Then into town with Van, and got hold of some Promicrol - I am prepared to bet they still don't have any in KL.

Out to Stover to pick up some birds, and then back home again, where I had tea, and watched TV and played Blockflöten until time for makan, and after that back again for a while. How I hate serials. I never get a chance to follow them.

Fairly early to bed, after a bath, and read a bit about getting involved in Readers digest. I shall have to copy it and send it to Lesley.

Wednesday, 15 December 1965 Netherton → Exeter → Hayes
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

As of old, Mrs Baudouy forgot or neglected to wake me up, and as a result, I did not wake until about 0750. I suppose it is a rational enough time to wake after a term of just sneaking it into breakfast.

Down, and had breakfast in the kitchen - a rather prolonged affair, lasting from 0830 until 1000 hrs, and then went for a bit of a stroll around the grounds of Netherton for old times sake. As Mrs. Baudouy remarked at breakfast, this is the 5th year of my association with Netherton - God, doesn't time fly!

Back again, and to the drawing room, where I pulled out a Blockflöte and began to please myself thereon. Then up and wrote a couple of letters, to Lesley and Mr. Allen, and then, after a bit of indecision, wrote up my diary.

Down again to the drawing room, where Stephanie and Diane were messing around on the piano, and joined them with a clarinet.

A little later went into town, to take Miranda to the station, but also went in and bought a few odd things - some sellotape and Sellotape X (new, faster. See revised data sheet),

This clearly referred to Kodak's data sheets for films like Ektachrome X and Kodachrome X.

and also some Savlon, which appears to be a newer form of Cetavlex, which has done wonders for my spots.

Then back again, and had lunch, and then upstairs to get all my stuff ready, and to finalise things with Mrs Baudouy, and then down to wait for the cab to take me to Exeter.

It finally arrived, and dropped Mrs. Littlewood at Shaldon. The whole thing only came to 38/- - cheaper than last time. Went to the BUA people, who had my ticket, and they told me that the flight had been cancelled owing to bad weather. Went through the roof, got a refund, and down to St. Davids station, where I had to wait for a quite considerable time before I finally got a train, and then the thing took quite some time to get moving. By the time we got to Reading, it was ¾ hour behind schedule, and I got off at Slough station at 2100 hrs, and got a coach (only passenger!) to London airport. Then got a van to the Skyways, checked in, and had makan - got there at about the same time as the train got to Paddington.

Wrote a letter to Lesley after makan. Also fixed up the film in my camera, which had come off the spool. What do I do about the frame counter?

Thursday, 16 December 1965 London (Hayes) → (+1 hr) Frankfurt → Geneva → (+1 hr) Cairo → (+3½ hrs)
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

The silly fool at reception woke me up at 0600 hrs this morning, and being in the usual frame of mind in which I am before going home, I could not get back to sleep, and so up and had a bath at about 0630.

Room service called me again pretty punctually at 0700 hrs, and made sure I got my coffee and paper, and after that down to the dining room for breakfast, and then up again to get my barang together, and called for a porter, which was not forthcoming. Eventually carried all my stuff down to the lobby, where there was a hell of a susah going on. Eventually got off, after more or less persuading them that I was being paid for by Air-India, and to Passenger building 3, where more susah, and got talking to a bloke who lives in Butterworth, while waiting for the plane, which was about 90 minutes late.

Eventually got onto the plane, and by God, they are on my side again, for I have another bird next to me, this time living no further away than Ipoh. Red hair, which looks very nice.

Finally got to Frankfurt at 2.20pm/1320, and there had lunch, and had a look round the airport, at some cameras, etc., and me and this bird (must find out what her name is - these birds seem singularly uninterested in me. I have to do all the talking).

It appears that I was writing the diary almost in real time.

Finally took off at about 3.20/1420 hrs, and to Geneva, where we arrived at about 4.00 pm (1500 hrs), and were given a free drink voucher. I suppose that all that they say about Air-India service is true enough. Geneva is a hell of a dump. Not even any cameras to look at.

Took off at about 4.40 pm/1540 hrs, and our first long hop, and I finally took the plunge and introduced myself. Then Anne (Day), as she proved to be called, decided to go to sleep, and so I followed suit, and decided that I might as well get a move on with my advances - I left it far too late last time.

Dropped off in the middle of it, but by 1730 hrs had her holding my hand, and we were in a pretty passionate embrace by 1800. Had some tea, and at 1835 got set in what must surely be a record-breaking embrace - 42 minutes. Also a 12 minute kiss. These italian kisses are not so bad after all.

Nowadays that's a French kiss.

Had some fun in Cairo airport - I came out with a seat cover adhered to my back. Bloke got hold of it and started sticking it on everybody. Most hilarious. Left Cairo at about 10.10 pm/...

Friday, 17 December 1965 Bombay → Madras → (+ 2 hrs) Singapore.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

,,, 2015 hrs, and on to Bombay, which was to be a really long hop, and had makan during it. Anne seemed particularly unhungry - apparently she is dieting in order to be able to fit into a Bikini these holidays, or something.

Arrived at Bombay at 6.45am/0115 hrs, and were told that passengers for Madras and Singapore would have to change here, and there would be a delay of about 1½ hours while the baggage was transferred from one plane to the other.

This was a masterpiece of understatement, and also a masterpiece of the Indian manner of saying “We should be leaving in about half an hour” every half hour. Eventually found out that the labourers were striking or working to rule, and while we were there we had breakfast.

Finally, after I had calculated that I would miss my connecting flight to KL, and probably have to stay at the Adelphi again, which could well mean spending the night with Anne and therefore not be too bad, we left the airport at about 11.00am/0530 hrs, and en route for Madras, at which point both Anne and I decided to catch up on our sleep, and so did so. She woke me up just as we were about to land at Madras, but we both decided to stay on the plane - I for one was dog tired.

Set off from Madras with ETA Singapore 7.10pm(1140 hrs). The 028 should have left at 6.30. More love making etc, and off to sleep for a while, though it was rather difficult, and in the end sat there making love to Anne as we came down in Singapore, at about 7.10, as scheduled.

Clearly I still didn't understand what “making love” meant.

Got off, and somebody told me I was leaving at 8.40 on the ML498, but almost immediately after somebody came up to me with a voucher saying that I was staying at the Raffles. Then yet another bloke found me, and told me he was trying his utmost to get me onto the 498, and so he did, too, but unfortunately we did not quite make it, and so to the Raffles, and to go to the airport to catch the ML034 at 7.00am tomorrow. Went to the dining room and discovered a) I was too late for makan b) Anne was on the 034 as well. Off to an early bed after ringing up Mum, Dad, and Bev. Thank God I have got this far, anyway.

And Anne? I think she was staying in a different hotel, possibly the Adelphi.

Saturday, 18 December 1965 Singapore → KL → Kepong Images for 18 December 1965
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Woke up at 4.15 this morning, and could not get back to sleep, so got up, had a shower, and decided to write a letter to Lesley. Did this, and also wrote up my diary, and otherwise occupied myself until about 5.30, at which time I went downstairs and waited for Stephen Teo to pick me up. The other bloke arrived a little later, and we set off got to the airport at about dawn, checked in, and went to have some breakfast. Then down, and I looked round anxiously to see if Anne was anywhere in sight. She appeared at the checking in counter about 2 minutes before the flight was called, but I got her sitting next to me in the plane, and on with the usual. Finally got to KL, and spent a bit of time in customs talking through the grille to Mum Dad, and Bev, and Theo actually came through the grille. I wonder what the tax is on Hünde [sic].

Finally got home, and spent most of the morning hanging around home seeing how it has changed, etc, in the past 3 months. Everybody seems to be flat out, and Bev has a monkey on her back, which she insists on keeping in the darkroom.

Mum told me that Anna Anthony had invited me out to a tramp party in Kepong tonight - nothing like getting off to a good start.

Out to the Borneo Co. Job in Kenny Hill, came then back to the office, where I confirmed with Anna that I would be going to the party.

After makan, decided to get a bit of a rest, as Anna had told me that the party would go on well into the small hours of the morning. Accordingly to my room, and almost immediately off to sleep.

Woke up after tea, and things were happening all over the place. Bev was ringing up to get somebody to come and pick her up from the Golf club, and Mum wanted to go down town to get something due there, and so on, and eventually they went off, and left me to watch the TV until they all came back with the news that the employees of the Weld Supermarket were on strike. This seems interesting. Shall have to go and take some photos.

I don't say when I took the photos, but here are a couple.
Image title: Weld strike 1          Dimensions:          2586 x 1721, 896 kB
Make a single page with this image Hide this image
Make this image a thumbnail Make thumbnails of all images on this page
Make this image small again Display small version of all images on this page
All images taken on Saturday, 18 December 1965, thumbnails          All images taken on Saturday, 18 December 1965, small
Diary entry for Saturday, 18 December 1965 Complete exposure details
Image title: Weld strike 2          Dimensions:          2592 x 1721, 1008 kB
Make a single page with this image Hide this image
Make this image a thumbnail Make thumbnails of all images on this page
Make this image small again Display small version of all images on this page
All images taken on Saturday, 18 December 1965, thumbnails          All images taken on Saturday, 18 December 1965, small
Diary entry for Saturday, 18 December 1965 Complete exposure details


Then had makan, after which Anna and her boyfriend Harry came along and picked me up to take me to the party, and eventually off, and arrived about an hour after it had started, and got moving very slowly. Discovered that I knew absolutely nobody, and eventually plucked up enough courage (backed up by the realisation that 'twas now or never) to make off with a bird called Tina Law, and got pretty quickly to work with her. I seem...

Sunday, 19 December 1965 Kepong → KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

... to really be moving quickly lately. Anyway, the climate here helps, and we spent a good deal of time outside, and became quite intimate by the end. She asked me if I would give her a lift back, and I asked Harry, who said he would be only too delighted. He seemed rather glad that I had managed to make off with her, and when she got a little worried about the hour, and told him, she suggested that I got her into the back set of the car, and waited for them to come along in about 5 minutes. Almost 45 minutes later, along they came, and we went back to town, dropped Tina at her house, and then home, arriving at about 3.30 am. Almost immediately off to sleep, and woke at about 10.30, and up, out, and had breakfast after a fashion, then suggested to Dad that we went to the Lake Club, as I still feel terribly pale, especially next to Bev, who is dark enough to pass for a Malay (well, just about).

Managed to persuade Mum to come as well, and for once she was pretty quick off the mark, and so we were at the Lake Club by 12.30, and discovered a table with what could only be Carmel's belongings, and settled down there. She is reading “L'étranger” by Camus, and I hope she feels sufficiently depressed by the end of it.

Had curry makan at the Lake Club, and at the same time managed to absorb a fair degree of UV light.

Then back home, leaving Bev to return with Carmel, and on the way stopped at the Borneo Co. job, which seems pretty inevitable. I always seem to be with Dad when he goes there.

Then finally back home, and off for a sleep. I am still not quite orientated [sic], and must do something about it. Eventually, I suppose, I will be awake in the day and asleep at night.

Woke up at about 7.00 pm, an just in time for the news, etc, and then makan, and messed around doing little in particular - I hope we can get some parties going these holidays. I am rather hoping that we can make them one long orgy.

Quite late to bed, despite the best of intentions. I really must rationalise my sleeping habits.

Monday, 20 December 1965 KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Up this morning with Dad and the sun at about 6.30 am, and up and out to Subang to send off some plans to Penang for Chor to pick up.

Then back again to have breakfast, and decided with Bev that we would go to the Lake Club. I was still rather preoccupied with getting brown rather than with swimming or such like, and as a result was not, unlike Bev, particularly worried whether the pool was being cleaned or not (as it was). Rang up Birger and Bertil, who said they would be over at about 10.00 am. Meanwhile, Jacky Webb arrived, and started talking to us. She has put on quite a bit of weight in appropriate places - interesting. I wonder if it is worth changing my opinion of her.

Birger and Bertil came late, and made me feel even paler than ever - they really are black (more or less). They look like negatives - what with their fair hair.

Finally off home - got a lift with Birger, and discovered what a reckless driver he is.

After makan, had intended to get my provisional license, and then go to the Golf club to meet all Bev's friends, but fate would not let it be. Mum was on her side and asked me to come over to the office and do a few jobs for her. By the time she had finished telling me what to do, it was 2.50 pm, and I did not get it all finished for yet another hour, and so by that time most of my afternoon was gone.

Back home accordingly, and decided to get all my photographic equipment out, and had intended to do a bit of printing until I discovered that all my electrical stuff had been employed elsewhere. Nevertheless, made up some DA163, and then wrote a letter to Paul Hallett, enclosing a cheque for £75, and apologising profusely about the fact that I could not get the camera for him, and so on.

I had promised to buy an Asahi Pentax “Spotmatic” for him. I don't say, and I don't recall, why I thought I couldn't: ultimately I did buy one for him.

Then decided that I was still pretty tired, and to have a rest, and nearly missed tea. More rest, and was forced to help Dad fix up the barbecue. By this time was so tired that I could hardly eat the food, but managed somehow.

Tuesday, 21 December 1965 KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And so goes by another day, and today I did not get up really early, although after last night's early night, I woke up of mine own accord at about 7.00 am.

Decided to go to the Lake club, but discovered that I first I [sic] had to clear it with Mum and so went and asked her, and she had all sorts of things to do, but in the end she somehow managed to work out that I need not do anything for her, and so off with Bev to the Lake Club after first calling at Eastern Photographers to hand Dad's 50 mm f/1,5 lens in for repair. Birger and Bertil were already there, and playing squash. Before much longer they came along to the pool and spent the rest of the morning there. doing little. It strikes me that Birger must be a bit cheesed off, having as successful brother as Bertil.

Eventually got picked up about 12.00 am [sic], as Dad wanted him after that.

This must be a reference to Rahmat, the syce, though the following paragraphs still don't make sense.

I must get the old grey mare down from K.B.

After lunch, Dad decided that he and I would go round town and do some shopping, and in view of the car situation, we decided to walk round town.

First, however, over to the office, and there intended only to get the cheque book, but unfortunately got waylaid, and first of all repaired my sunglasses while Dad gave the blokes in the drawing office something to do. Then a couple of phone calls, and out, and discovered that Mum had come in, and so back up again, and a bit more susah, etc, etc. Eventually off and got Bev, and down to the Post office, where Rahmat dropped us, and we then went up to Caxtons, and got me a new diary - an eastern edition of this one, which will add a bit of character thereto.

The diaries were printed by Collins in foolscap format. The Eastern Edition had different information in the front, such as local holidays and exchange rates.

Went all over the place looking for Christmas presents for the family, etc, and in the end gave it up as a bad job after having bought nothing for anybody except ourselves.

Did a bit of printing afterwards, of the slides I took in Ashford, and decided once and for all that EX is a terribly grainy film.

Developed a PX (french) for Dad after makan, and also the leader to a KR135-72 in DA-163. Another first.

Wednesday, 22 December 1965 KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Dad up without waking me this morning, and I felt so dead tired that I could hardly get up, but eventually decided to make the effort.

After a while had breakfast, and Dad off to the Borneo Co to see what was going on there, and meanwhile I tried to get Mum's permission to go to the Lake Club, and with Dad to the office, and then on to Eastern Photographers, and there had a passport photo taken, and handed in a KR to be processed.

Then off to the Lake Club, and when I got there, discovered that Birger was not there, but Bertil was there, and introduced to some birds. Later on came Jennifer Paton, and I noticed that she was not with Duncan Cessford [?], who was elsewhere. I suspect he is getting of with Felicity Potter, as John Hazel is soon leaving. I might be able to make it off with Jennifer as a result.

Back to the office quite early, as quite a few things were going on, and then back home, via the Coq D'or [sic].

Makan was a pretty informal do, as Eileen was not there, and after that decided to stay at home for a while, and so settled down to do a bit of music practice, and then out to listen to some music on the record player, and wrote a letter to Anne, from whom I heard this morning. I wish her letter had arrived yesterday.

After a while, Ahmad bin Mahmuddin rang, and I asked him over, as tonight is the new moon, and tomorrow is the beginning of Puasa, and it would not be very kind to invite him over then - except possibly after 7.00 pm.

After a while he arrived, and brought with him a flute and some music, and we got down to playing some of it. Quite a nice trio by Bach for 2 Altblockflöten and continuo.

After a while, parentals back, and decided to go to the Weld Supermarket for tea (where the strike has only just ended).

Curry and sateh for makan - very good sateh sauce. Quite late to bed.

Thursday, 23 December 1965 KL
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Life is once again falling into a fairly settled pattern for the mornings at any rate. Decided once again to go to the Lake Club, but first of all had to find out if Mum wanted anything done for her in town. As usual, of course, she did, and set to work with what appeared to be a will, and so it was - a will to get to the Lake Club afterwards.

The thing that irritates me about doing errands for Mum is not actually doing them as all the waiting around that accompanies them. Today was no exception, but it was a little better than usual. First to Ubaidullas to get some cases for Dad, and then got my passport photos from Eastern Photographers, and posted an express letter to Penang.

Then finally to the Lake Club, and on the way noted Birger and Bertil on the way to town. Nobody was at the pool at all - apart from Duncan, who was again with Felicity. Decided to ring up the Ipoh Swimming Club and page Anne, but she was not there - oh well, it was worth a try.

After a lunch, down to the RIMV to apply for a provisional license, and one hall of a lot of red tape, not to mention just plain inefficiency. However, managed to get moving, and was in the middle of a crowd waiting for my license when Lokman bin Mohammed Noor [sic], whom I have not seen since December 1959, came up to me. All the usual happy reunions, etc, and took him over to the office and then back home. He is still at school, which rather surprised me - he is doing biology (and so on) and chemistry, but is also interested in maths. Spent about 10 minutes proving to him (and to myself) that ∫dx/x = log x. That pleases me, that I should be able to do that.

I don't know why that should have surprised me. We were in the same class in school, and I was also still at school.

After that, Mum and Dad came home, and we had tea. For the first time ever, Lokman tasted Crumpets. He is interested in public school life, being at K. Kangsar college (which is the subject of “Time for a Tiger”. Interesting).

Then to Katriona Moss's party. One hell of a flop. Then kicked on at the Lake Club and the Golf Club. What a grotty mob Bev gets around with.

Friday, 24 December 1965 KL. Images for 24 December 1965
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And so Christmas is again with us, and for the first time in 5 years I am at home therefor. I am rather pleased about it, although I miss Lesley.

This also proved to be the last time that I celebrated Christmas with both parents and my sister.

Up much as usual, and wanted again, much as usual, to go to the Lake Club, and again much as usual I was required for something or another. Dad also said something about a party in the office, which I would be required to attend. After last night's “party” at Catrionas, I nearly went up the wall. Then Dad off, and before much longer, Mum up, and wanted me to help her paint the tree bronze. Did not refuse, but got out of it nevertheless. Rang up Birger and asked him if he had any L-plates that he could lend me. He said he had, and that I could have them. Arranged to go over.

As usual, got delayed, and had to go up to the Supermarket to do some shopping. Then down to Robinsons, got some wall thermometers, and out to Kenny Hill. Got the plates, highway code, etc, and then we all went down to the Lake Club. Tried ringing the Ipoh Swimming Club again, and this time finally got on to her [Anne], and spent about 10 minutes talking to her at the Lake Club's expense.

Then a little later Birger and Bertil decided to go home, and so said my “auf wiedersehen's”, and had lunch.

Did quite a bit of sunbathing, and felt generally at peace with the world. Why are there not more days like today?

After a while, it started raining. This is the sort of thing that the mob in England would not believe - sun shining brightly at 3.00, then it started pouring, and at 3.30 the sun was shining again.

Eventually decided that Anne was not going the phone me [sic], and went off home by foot, as the car was apparently in use - although it was not very apparent when I got home. My watch went on the blink after 5 years.

Then great preparations for the party, and again to the Supermarket, where I went and had a couple of drinks with Ananda.

Party was quite a good success, and got a towel and a couple of cravats from Carmel and Ron.

During the evening's events, somebody knocked on the door. My father went out and came back a little later without any comment. Later, apparently after Bev had gone to bed, my father said to me “come out and give me a hand”. I went out there, and found a piano, a Christmas present for Bev. It was almost as much a surprise for me as it was for Bev the following morning.

Saturday, 25 December 1965 KL Images for 25 December 1965
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Mum in at about 8.20 this morning, woke me up, and told me to get my camera, and then out and into position. Then finally let Bev out of her room, and got a photo of her when she saw the piano that we had got for her. I think that one will go down in the family album. That expression really was priceless.
Image title: new piano          Dimensions:          1667 x 2442, 1200 kB
Make a single page with this image Hide this image
Make this image a thumbnail Make thumbnails of all images on this page
Make this image small again Display small version of all images on this page
All images taken on Saturday, 25 December 1965, thumbnails          All images taken on Saturday, 25 December 1965, small
Diary entry for Saturday, 25 December 1965 Complete exposure details
Image title: new piano detail
Complete exposure details
Dimensions: 360 x 603, 68 kB
Dimensions of original: 360 x 603, 68 kB
Display this image:
thumbnail    hidden   alone on page
Display all images on this page as:
thumbnails    this size
Show for Saturday, 25 December 1965:
thumbnails    small images    diary entry

Then got washed, etc, and decided to hand out the rest of the presents. I got a lot more clothing - 2 pairs of bathers, a belt (double sided), handkerchieves (which I seem to remember getting from Kay Wilesson 5 years ago), and a shirt. Also an EX, new diary (that was a surprise), and a cuff link box.

One of Dad's contractors gave all the rest of the family Ω watches - he did not know I was here. All very embarrassing. And I the only one who needs a watch. Developed a PX after that.

Did little in the morning - I had intended to go to the pool, but it was an awful day. Went out instead for a driving lesson with Dad, and rather enjoyed myself, although I fear that Dad did not.

Then makan, cold left-overs from last night. At the end of it, Dad's contractor came in again with a transistor radio for me. Dad went up the wall and tried to give them back, but he could not take them. Here followed a long conversation on how much professional ethics were worth, and so on. Dad however made up his mind to return them. Damn. I could do with one of those watches (the one for Dad, of which he already has one). Oh well.

This is also at least partially a culture conflict. It's clear that in Western cultures it's completely unacceptable for an architect to accept gifts from a contractor, but I'm quite sure that the contractor saw it just as a (rather expensive) “thank you” for work that was in the past, and was probably somewhat offended that we didn't accept the presents.

Did little in the afternoon either - in fact, I got terribly bored and consequently depressed, as I have not been since I have been back. Cut up the film I developed this morning, and hung around the living room watching TV, etc, and doing little of any use.

After a while, had tea, and after that watched more TV, this time with the whole family participating.

This managed, in the usual indescribable way, to merge into makan, and I managed to get a photo of the whole affair by candlelight. Thank God for HP3 and Promicrol.
Image title: Candlelight dinner          Dimensions:          1434 x 1195, 320 kB
Make a single page with this image Hide this image
Make this image a thumbnail Make thumbnails of all images on this page
Make this image small again Display small version of all images on this page
All images taken on Saturday, 25 December 1965, thumbnails          All images taken on Saturday, 25 December 1965, small
Diary entry for Saturday, 25 December 1965 Complete exposure details


Developed it after makan. Contrast and grain are both good. I shall have to print them soon.

Sunday, 26 December 1965 KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

And so on the morning after the night before, and we are to all intents and purposes back to normal again - all, that is, but for the fact that we could hardly keep Bev away from the piano.

As planned, decided to go to the Lake Club, and got Mum up, etc. Then we all discovered that Bev wanted to stay at home and practice her piano, and Mum wanted to sleep, as the weather was not good enough for her. Dad and I went, however, after a bit of indecision, and he let me drive. He is certainly taking a lot of punishment.

Bumped into Carol Syme at the swimming pool - she looks terribly pale, although I suppose he [sic] has not changed since last week. Also Bertil and Birger Samuelsson, and Birger had forgotten to bring me my cufflinks - Oh well.

Then back, and on the way stopped at the Borneo Co. job and had a look at various things about which the occupant was complaining. Finally got home at about 1.25, and Mum went up the wall about something. Retired to my room, and played some soothing sonata by Händel. After a while felt soothed enough, and decided to go to the Lake club again, and Dad offered to take me.

Nobody was there when I got there, and I decided to ring Anne, but they told me that she had already left, and so on, so I gave it up as a bad job, and went to do what I could in the way of suntanning, and spent a good deal of time looking round at the bird life. There are a a couple hanging about whom I would not mind knowing.

In the end it clouded over so much that I rang Dad and asked him to pick me up, after first ringing the swimming club and checking for Anne again.

Back home, and Mum had more or less quietened down, and we had tea in comparative peace, while I got her consent if not approval to go up to Ipoh this week. She suggested Tuesday, as I could not contact Anne in time for tomorrow.

A little later, Anne rang, and so, after consultation with Mum, decided to go up on the day mail tomorrow.

Over to Carmel's for makan - very good.

Monday, 27 December 1965 KL Images for 27 December 1965
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Woke up at about 6.30 with Swoopy whining his head off, and could not get back to sleep. Eventually got up at 7.00, as intended, and carried on packing, etc.

When Dad saw my efforts, he went up the wall, and did it for me again in another case. Out, had breakfast, and then Dad went in and asked Mum if she would like to come to the station to see me off. She went mad at this, and I managed to crawl out of the way by myself about 10 minutes later.
Image title: Railway station          Dimensions:          2561 x 1716, 928 kB
Make a single page with this image Hide this image
Make this image a thumbnail Make thumbnails of all images on this page
Make this image small again Display small version of all images on this page
All images taken on Monday, 27 December 1965, thumbnails          All images taken on Monday, 27 December 1965, small
Diary entry for Monday, 27 December 1965 Complete exposure details


Got to the train, which arrived at about 8.30, and it was not until 9.35 that it left. Went past all the old places that we knew when we were in Syers Road, usw, and they certainly have changed a lot.

Eventually out of Kuala Lumpur, and the train stopped about 80% of the stops. By the time we arrived in Slim River, I decided we would make Ipoh by 1.20, nor was I mistaken - we arrived at 1.24, which was not at all a bad estimate.

Anne and Mrs Day were waiting when I got there, and took me off the to their place for makan, etc. What a change - cold turkey and ham. I can see life is much the same in this neck of the woods. This was confirmed when Anne suggested that after that we went to the Swimming Club. It all sounds vaguely familiar. Still, I don't suppose there is really much else to do in any case. Anne looks quite red, but on the other hand not very tanned. She seems to try to keep out of the sun, so it is not really surprising. I like her bikini - it goes well with the colour of her hair and her eyes. There were dozens of other birds there, and only 3 other boys - no wonder she invited me up here. The other birds appear rather characterless, however - or should I perhaps say that Anne has more character. I am getting to like her very much. Back, had tea, and met the Day Males (as opposed to the Day Mail), and then Anne, Rod, and I to Anne's room to hear some records. Fortunately, Rod got bored and went out. Then Anne decided to do a bit of scooter practice, of which she is obviously badly in need. That ended that.

After that, upstairs and had a few drinks, and quite a few visitors, and had makan up there with a couple of the blokes I met this afternoon. I am rather worried about this Gordon bloke.

Tuesday, 28 December 1965 Ipoh
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

In the middle of the night, I discovered the hard way that I was allergic to the pillow on which I was sleeping, and so discarded it, and slept the rest of the night quite peacefully.

Then up at the unearthly hour of about 8.45, and down for breakfast, which is apparently a very informal do here.

After that, the Day males went off to the doctors to see about various complaints, and I stayed behind with the bints, who were busy getting Anne a dress to wear for the party tonight.

During this, a heavily armoured car came up the drive, and out sprang a couple of efficient looking soldiers and brought up a crate of beer - I suppose the army has some advantages.

After a while Major and Roderick Day returned, and the former suggested that we go to the swimming club, which we did, and shortly after that arrived Anne, who had changed her mind about the dress she wanted to wear.

A little later, she off back home on her scooter, and got Mrs. Day to come and pick us up.

Back again, had lunch (turkey and ham pie), and then it was suggested that we all had a rest, which I considered an excellent idea, and off to my room, put my head down, and did not wake up until 3.30, the appointed time, and all prepared to go down town to do some shopping.

First, however, over to the camp, and Major Day there received some unpleasant news about some work he had to do. At about the same time, it began to raining and generally got unpleasant. Dropped Anne at the hairdressers, and off to the shoe shop, where Rod intended to buy some shoes, and I bought a pair of thongs which vaguely fitted me.

Back home, had tea, and then to collect Anne, who looked very with it with her bird's-nest hairdo. Looks very much better for it.

Off to the party at about 8.00pm, and there got a shock when she left me completely alone and started making off with married men, etc. Very irritating, and only got about 6 dances with her, in which she was very stand-offish. Damn.

Wednesday, 29 December 1965 Ipoh
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Woke up, after some rather disturbing dreams about Anne this morning, and accordingly got up and went for a walk down to the end of the road, meditating on various aspects of human life, etc. She is obviously not my type, and hard as it may be, I suppose I must accept it.

Back, and one was preparing breakfast, as the servant had the whole day off. Accordingly, complied with what everybody else was having, and had it.

After that, Anne was once again wondering about what dress she should wear, and so on, and dragged out several specimens that she was thinking of wearing, all of which were far too large for her, and spent a great deal of time trying to make it look more her size. Off with Major Day to the Officers mess to get some soft drinks for this evening's booze up

Then to the swimming club with Anne, and again invited her down to KL, and she declined. Why does she not like me? Anyway, I did not really want to be unfaithful to Lesley, and she might have tempted me.

Had makan actually at the swimming club - had a plateful of mah mee, and that was too much for me, and had to leave nearly half of it. Why have I so little appetite lately?

Back home, and decided that the best thing I could do was go to sleep for a while, and attempted this with very little success. Life becomes a bit too much for me at times. I ought to go back to KL, I suppose.

After a while, got up and went outside to read a story in “Argosy” about Singapore called “Nights in Pagoda St.”. Very interesting - the fellow here obviously understands the chinese mind. Enjoyed it very much.

Then Anne wanted to do a bit of riding on her scooter, and she let me have a go. It is not very powerful - it only did about 28 mph flat out.

Then inside, and before long started the party which proved to be a bit of a drunken orgy, although I did little apart from talk to Douglas about flying planes - he has a 7-seater Cessna.

Kicked on at the swimming club after - when we got back, the key was gone, but elders soon returned with it.

Thursday, 30 December 1965 Ipoh → KL.
Top of page
previous day
next day
last day

Up comparatively late this morning, and downstairs, where all the rest already were, and Mr. Day told me that they would, after all, be going to KL, and that they would give me a lift, and would I please be so kind as to be ready after breakfast? I was absolutely delighted - this place has been gradually getting on my nerves, and so on. I am just not the same type as this mob.

It took a while to dawn on me that they probably thought the same, and that main purpose of the trip to KL was to get rid of me.

After breakfast, set off by no means immediately, and when we did, they had quite a few things to do, and so only just got out of Ipoh by 10.30.

Mr. Day, however, made up for this by driving fast, and I note with pleasure that nobody wanted the windows up. I sat there, next to Anne, daydreaming of Lesley. I do not know how I could prefer any bird to her. The very name is music.

Eventually got to KL, and to the Dog, and rang home from there, and discovered that Mum and Dad had gone to the Golf Club for makan, and Major Day offered to take me home.

There waiting for me was a letter from Lesley, as well as a Christmas Card from Lokman. The letter from Lesley was the most wonderful yet. After my makan of cold turkey and ham, which Eileen scrounged for me, I was about to reply to it when Lalita arrived, closely followed by Mum and Dad. I had some things to do in town, and so got her to drop me at Batas in Batu road, and collected Mum's shoes, my pants, had my watch repaired, and got Dad's lens. then bumped into Tina Law, and she wished me a merry Christmas and a Kwong Hee Fatt Choy. Then back home, wrote an airletter to Lesley, and over to the office to get some stamps to post it. Then gave it to Miss Anthony to post, and back home with Dad, and shortly arrived home Mum and her relatives, Pat and Pat (surname unknown) and their 2 kids, who are not called Pat. Think that Pat(ricia) is one of the many offspring of Auntie Anne. (That name again!).

After that, my style was rather cramped, and into my room to write up for yesterday, and after that something was announced about a chinese makan out, and Mum suggested a place in Cross St, which was not too hot. Back fairly early, listened to “Fool Britannia”, and off to bed. I miss Lesley terribly lately.

Friday, 31 December 1965 KL
Top of page
previous day

Woken up this morning to discover hundreds of little kids screaming all over the place (or so it seemed - in reality it was only 2). So again we have contact with Auntie Annie's brood - that name is popular lately.

Up and had breakfast and decided (or rather, my nose decided for me) that there was too much dust in this place, and so asked Mum if I could go to the Lake Club, which did not please her, but eventually she let me go jalan kaki [by foot].

Stopped on the way at Eastern Photographers, and bought some lens cleaning tissues, and then on to the Lake Club, where I got hold of some Lake Club writing paper, and started recording my thoughts for Lesley's benefit.

Carried on thus for a while, until it degenerated into a letter telling her what was going on at the Lake Club.

After 16 pages, finally finished, and started strolling to the office, but unfortunately when I got there, discovered I had been intended to stay at the Club. Put my letter in an envelope, and posted it - cost me $1.50.

Back to the club, had lunch, and spent about 1½ hours over that. Then Dad wanted me to do some more tax work for him, and so called Bev over, and eventually got down to it.

Then in walked San Sai Lum at about 3.45 pm, and told Dad that it was a half-holiday, so Dad sent all the blokes in the Drawing office home, and sent me down for some beer. All they had was Carlsberg, which I have decided I don't like - and $2.40 a bottle.

Then home, and to my room, where I sat and moped and played Blockflöten, etc, and decided to get washed for this party tonight. After getting half-undressed, discovered the water was not yet hot, and had to wait half an our.

After that, read C. J. DennisA sentimental bloke”, which is very apt to my present state of mind.

Eventually off to the party, which could have been a lot wilder, but was spoilt for me by the fact that there was a bird there called Lesley - I spent the rest of the night sitting and moping, talking to a bloke called Colin Reynolds, who is in the ...

Do you have a comment about something I have written? This is a diary, not a “blog”, and there is deliberately no provision for directly adding comments. It's also not a vehicle for third-party content. But I welcome feedback and try to reply to all messages I receive. See the diary overview for more details. If you do send me a message relating to something I have written, please indicate whether you'd prefer me not to mention your name. Otherwise I'll assume that it's OK to do so.

Top of page Previous month Greg's home page Today's diary entry Next month Greg's photos Copyright information

Valid XHTML 1.0!

$Id: diary-dec1965.php,v 1.29 2020/12/30 02:15:13 grog Exp $